Find Grants & Aid

Where to find Grants, Financial Aid and Federal Student Aid Programs

The Department of Education will provide more than $67 billion this year, about 70 percent of all student aid, to help millions of students and families pay for postsecondary education. Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs are the largest source of college financial assistance, each year providing billions of dollars in funding. This aid comes in many forms: gift aid in the form of grants (money that does not have to be repaid); self-help aid in the form of work study (job earnings), and loans (money that must be paid back with interest). The FSA programs comprise:

  • Pell grants
  • Stafford loans, available either through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program or the Direct Loan (DL) Program
  • Plus loans for parents (also available through the FFEL or DL programs)
  • Consolidation loans (FFEL or DL)
  • Federal Work Study (FWS)
  • Perkins loans
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

The last three – FWS, Perkins Loans, and FSEOG – are known collectively as the Campus-Based Programs. Loans through the DL Program come directly from the U.S. government, while loans through the FFEL Program come from private lenders such as banks. This information is provided directly from the US Department of Education Federal Student Aid website.If you are in high school, a good introduction to financial aid for college is the booklet, Funding Your Education. If you’ve already graduated from high school and want more details, then the Student Guide is a good place to start. A Student Aid Audio Guide, which is a simulated conversation between a student and a counselor that you can listen to with RealPlayer, is also available. If a college offers Stafford or PLUS loans through the Department of Education’s Direct Loan Program, the Direct Loan website will tell you about the program. If your college offers Stafford or PLUS loans through the FFEL Program, you can get information about that program from your school or its private lenders.

Applying for Federal Aid

To apply for aid, you will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can do this most easily and efficiently online at FAFSA, on the Web. Of course, you can apply instead with the paper FAFSA, which is available at libraries and at your high school or college counselor’s office. You can also call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) if you would like to have a paper application sent to you.

More Information and More Websites

For a comprehensive website dedicated not only to financial aid but to all phases of getting a college education, the Students Portal is a good resource. “Looking for Student Aid” is a webpage that answers some common questions, such as those regarding scholarship search services, and also provides links to other sites and to the publications mentioned above. Whether you are saving for college, are in college now, or have graduated, the IRS offers several tax breaks that can save you a lot of money. Check out the website for Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

Another portal for students is, which serves as a gateway to a wide variety of resources provided by the federal government that are of interest to college students. State higher education agencies offer a wealth of information on college education and financial aid that are particular to each state. There are other federal sources of financial assistance besides the Department of Education. The U.S. Army, for example, has long provided funding to help persons in that service to pay for college.

We hope the summary provided here has been of help to you. Please keep in mind that there are many sources of information on federal aid. Valuable information is available for free from the U.S. government and from your college financial aid office – so please take a look, and let us know if we can be of further help.

Checklist of free sources of student financial aid information:

  • The financial aid office at your college or career high school counselor
  • The U.S. Department of Education
  • Other federal agencies (including the military, if appropriate)
  • Your state education agency
  • To learn more about other educational issues, please visit the U.S. Department of Education website.

start today